Friday, September 12, 2008

Ike Strike, Part Three

He's almost here, you can feel it in the air. The sunset was gorgeous, all but gone now...only a glimmer of light remains to reflect the dark shadows cast by the racing clouds. I watch as the news reporter based in Galveston gives his update of the conditions there. No power. So dark. Looking outside it's beginning to appear like that here.
Hard to imagine just a few short hours ago we were walking Zoe around the block. It was her second outing of the day, extremely rare because she is such a stodgy old biddy. We took her to the dog park before noon, I remember at 11:10 the wind blew the hat from my head. I noted to Marc that historical tidbit in case I forgot, but I knew I wouldn't. Finding the irony in life is one of my favorite tasks. 7:55 PM and the reporters lament, it didn't veer. HUNKER DOWN. This is the official phrase of the 2008 Ike Devistation Show. I haven't heard that phrase as much in my entire life as I have in the last 3 hours. 7:58 PM and I can't even attempt to go outside with my hat on if I want to ever see it again. We know we are in for the night when we're forced to stow the last 2 patio chairs. We'll do that once they won't stay out of the pool. But for now, I need to experience the true ambiance of impending disaster. I think 'll go sit by the pool.
Part Four in a bit.

No comments: