Friday, September 12, 2008

Thoughts of Ike, Part One...totally unrelated to home staging!

I'm bored, trying to pass those unbearable hours waiting for the storm to get on with it. So many interesting thoughts have come and gone over the hours, but finally I decide to capture some of the more illuminating thoughts that flitter through as if on the wings of a hummingbird. This series of rantings will be my chronicle of those thoughts, in symphony with the realities of the wrath of Ike.
This ain't my first rodeo. But it's been a looooong time since I felt that certain adrenalin rush thats associated with the approach of a hurricane. A strange mixture of excitement and fear sprinkled with true anticipation. Memories of the transformation of the day, which started as beautifully sunny, somewhat humid and unseasonably warm at 80 degrees for the early hour of the morning, trapse randomly through my mind. "Get off the seawall", I hear the news anchor repeat while showing unbelievable photos of the surging tide, the storm still hundreds of miles off shore. The brightness of the morning mingled with the cooling breeze, increasing in intensity, mocked the anchor's warning, promising a lovely beginning to what is sure to become an historic day, at least in our local history.
As irony would have it, our central air conditioning decided to freeze up, discovered only minutes after I loaded my freshly removed bedroom ceiling fan into it's new owner's vehicle. Figured the we could easily live without the ceiling fan for a few days since the hurricane would necessitate indoor living, and the AC would just remain on. Despite our best efforts, by the time we realized that no AC service person would magically turn up on our doorstep to fix the dead blower motor we were stuck to "weather it out" without the benefit of being cool. Despite the heat emitting from the brain of my laptop, I continue to type, while clouds begin to overtake the sun's rays in a foreboding manner. Now I wondered who was being mocked.
Part Two to follow.

No comments: